An Ultimate Guide to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don’t want, drink what you don’t like, and do what you’d rather not.Mark Twain
According to Wikipedia, A healthy lifestyle is one that helps to keep and improve people’s health and well-being. … The ways of being healthy include healthy eating, physical activities, weight management, and stress management. Good health allows people to do many things.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is essential in your daily life. This is not a job to do at once in a week or a month but it is a continuous process.
By taking care of your health, you are likely to be more productive, more accurate, more confident and most importantly happier.
A healthy lifestyle not only gives you instant results but it also has long term effects on your body and age. With a proper diet and nutrition, you are less exposed to diseases and your chances to make 80+ are pretty much bright (who knows😊).
According to a study, average life in Pakistan is 66.48 years. Specifically, Life of a man in Pakistan is 64.4 years and for a woman it is 67.3 years.
Here is your ultimate guide about healthy nutrition and good habits that will take you through leaving your bad habits and replacing them with good habits with a healthy diet.
First of all, take a look at the health condition of Pakistan.
Facts about Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle
As you all know diet and mental health are very related to each other, and here comes the problem, The National Health Survey of Pakistan estimated that hypertension affects 18% of adults and 33% of adults above 45 years old.
In another report, it was shown that 18% of people in Pakistan suffer from hypertension with every third person over the age of 40 becoming increasingly vulnerable to a wide range of dise
You probably had no idea that poor diet was found to be a leading cause of death (one among five), among young adults in 2017. The study looked at the relation between poor diet habits and non-communicable diseases.
NCDs kill 41 million people each year. That’s equivalent to 71 percent of all deaths globally.
Therefore, you should take your health serious to live a happy and diseases-free life.
Here are some tips that you can follow to get your life back on track and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Tips to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
1. Proper Diet and Nutrition:
Good nutrition is often the first line of defense to avoid many diseases. A good diet is that which consists of all the necessary vitamins and minerals
for the proper functioning of the human body.
Food rich in vitamins and minerals can improve your metabolism and strengthen your immune system. In fact, a strong immune system can resist diseases more effectively.
Here are some foods that you should include in your daily meal.
- First of all, take your three meals a day regularly. It is very important to know that breakfast is the most important meal that you should not miss in any case. Experts say, skipping breakfast for a while may put you on the fast track to weight gain, heart disease, osteoporosis, irritability or mood swings, menstrual irregularity, low energy levels, low memory and hormonal stress. Therefore, waking up early in the morning and taking a healthy breakfast is a must for your health. Also, the dinner should not be your largest meal.
- Add fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk products in your diet.
- Add lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts in your diet to gain necessary proteins.
- Choose foods that are low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars.
- Eat the smallest portion that can satisfy the hunger and then stop eating.
- Avoid sodas and sugar-enhanced drinks because of the excessive calories in the sodas and sugar drinks.
- diet drinks may not be a good choice as they make some people hungrier and increase food consumption.
- Avoid eating raw or undercooked meats of any type.
- Drink 1-2 glass of warm water early in the morning.
- 70% of our body is made of water. Water is necessary for the proper functioning of our metabolism and circulation of blood. Therefore, drink 9-10 glasses of water daily.
2. Get a Good Night Sleep:
Sleep is an integrated part of human health and life and is crucial for learning, performance, and physical and mental health.
According to experts, 6-8 hours of sleep is necessary for our body to work at its best.
Also, people who sleep too little (less than 6 hours) or people who sleep more than 8 hours are equally exposed to many mental and health problems.
Here are some historical facts, in Pakistan more than 30% of the Pakistani population suffers from insomnia. One in three people suffer from some form of insomnia during their lifetime due to different happenings in their life. Most of the people over the age of 60 are suffering from this disease.
Taking less sleep can cause depression, hypertension and other mental disorders.
So, forget about all the worries and problems before going to sleep and take a healthy sleep of 6-8 hours.
3. Exercise Regularly:
I cannot put more stress on the importance of exercise in our daily life and the changes that it can make in our life.
There is an old saying:
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
And believe me, walking is the most common and easiest exercise that we can do. But most of the people don’t know this.
- Try to go to the office by foot if it is not too far. Go to the market on foot, it will also save your petrol. (thanks me later)
- Try to spare at least 30 minutes for the exercise. Research shows that physical exercise releases proteins in the brain that can actually help improve your memory and increase your cognitive performance.
- Physical exercise benefits the brain as much as the body, and that’s always a good deal for students.
- Regular exercise can help control body weight and in some people cause loss of fat.
- You can also try Yoga as an exercise.
4. Pray and Meditate:
We’ve all heard of the health risks associated with too much stress, but how can you reduce that stress and find peace in your life?
To achieve a sense of peace, you can turn to prayer and meditation.
There are many benefits to meditation and prayer:
- Both meditation and prayer are wonderful for reducing stress. You’ll find that it helps you learn how to get away from the worries of life to a more peaceful state of mind.
- By bringing prayer and meditation into your life, it’s possible to control your thoughts and stop negative thinking as soon as it happens. This helps keep your mind at peace.
- When you alleviate the stresses in your life, you’re better able to concentrate on the things that are important, such as family or work.
Although prayer and meditation can bring peace in your life, it can be hard to make the time at first. Find a quiet place in your home and allow yourself to relax and feel at peace for 10-15 minutes. You deserve those 15 minutes of peace each day!
5. Get Rid of Bad Habits:
The category of bad habits includes those habits that both, harm human health and restrict a person from the full use of his abilities throughout his life.
The most dangerous habits are those, who were obtained at a relatively immature age and to get rid of which a person is not capable of. Such habits cause considerable damage to human existence – loss of potential and motivation, premature aging of the human body and the acquisition of diseases of various kinds.
Some of the bad habits are as follows:
- Smoking is a very common bad habit that kills more than 8 million people each year according to the World Health Organization. More than 7 million of those deaths are the result of direct tobacco use while around 1.2 million are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke. Around 80% of the world’s 1.1 billion smokers live in low- and middle-income countries.
- Worldwide, 3 million deaths every year result from harmful use of alcohol, this represents 5.3 % of all deaths. The harmful use of alcohol is a causal factor in more than 200 disease and injury conditions. … In the age group, 20–39 years approximately 13.5 % of the total deaths are alcohol-attributable
Try to eradicate these habits and replace them with good ones.
6. Be Social:
Man is a social animal. It loves to live in communities and engage with these communities. Meeting new people of your own field and choices can make you happy and helps you to put-off stress and share your thoughts and your inner with someone else.
I know that some people are not of that type and they like to live in their own comfort zone. But don’t be a wallflower. If you are stressed, then you should go out and spend some time talking to someone you care about.
7. Spend Time With Your Family:
The biggest draw back of this world of Technology and Materialism is that people are too busy in their business or office work that they often forget about their families.
I am a big critic of this draw back of today’s society. But, by sparing some time in the busy routine for your family, you can actually relive the life and make your lifestyle healthier.
Here are some tips about how to spend time with your family:
- Participate in family gatherings or you can also arrange a family get-to-gather. This will help you to regain your confidence and maintain a healthy balance between work and life.
- Celebrate birthday and anniversary parties with your family.
- Spend some time with you children and talk to them about their daily activities and studies.
- Plan for some outing or going for a tour with your family on holidays. It will make you fresh and active for the next day.
Benefits of Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle
1. Reduced Cancer Risk:
An unhealthful diet can lead to obesity, which may increase a person’s risk of developing cancer. Weighing within a healthful range may reduce this risk.
Many phytochemicals found in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and legumes act as antioxidants, which protect cells from damage that can cause cancer. Some of these antioxidants include beta-carotene, lycopene, and vitamins A, C, and E.
Trials in humans have been inconclusive, but results of laboratory and animal studies have linked certain antioxidants to a reduced incidence of free radical damage associated with cancer.
2. Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention:
According to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, up to 80 percent of cases of premature heart disease and stroke can be prevented by making lifestyle changes, such as increasing levels of physical activity and eating healthfully.
There is some evidence that vitamin E may prevent blood clots, which can lead to heart attacks.
The following foods contain high levels of vitamin E:
- sunflower seeds
- green vegetables
3. Improved Memory:
A new study shows your diet quality may influence your risk of cognitive decline, including memory and thinking skills. Results show people with the healthiest diets were 24 percent less likely to have cognitive decline than people with the least healthy diets when followed for close to five years.
A study from identified nutrients and foods that protect against these adverse effects. They found the following to be beneficial:
- vitamin D, C, and E
- omega-3 fatty acids
- flavonoids and polyphenols
Mental and physical health of a person is greatly depends upon his/her daily life routine and the lifestyle he is living. By taking your health seriously, and exercising and meditating and taking good diet, you can maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Image Credits: Pixabay.com